Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ruby good to see you!

The weekend is over, caraaaazy busy, which is a good thing.

Sao, I've pondered your beginner to the thread and couldn't get it out of my head. Alcohol is romanticized to the core and even feeling really good about sobriety my head can still play the danger game.

The first Friday of every month is First Friday Art Walk here. I work on the main stretch in the city. When I get out of work on this day every month there's a plethora of people traversing the sidewalks where artists and craftsmen display their wares. There's usually outdoor music and the atmosphere is very party like. Also, there must be a bar about every 10 feet in this city. Yes, a minor exaggeration but still, close.

I come out the doors at work, into the square, and hear the music. I look around and see all the happy people, bebopping around, laughing, and smiling. I head to my parking garage, walking past the four (yes four) bars and restaurants that have outdoor seating. I smell the food, I hear the laughter. It's balmy and warm, a real sit outside and party kind of night. I make it to the parking garage and a girl is walking by me. She's beautiful, her hair is blowing gently in the slight, warm breeze. It's easy to tell where she's headed, to meet up with friends and to sit outside and relax, having a few drinks. I begin to reminisce about those days. The excitement towards the end of the day on Friday when plans had been made. The flutter of my heart as I looked at the clock, in anticipation. then......

My glazed over eyes clear and I realize what I was doing. I remembered this post. How alcohol is romanticized and here I was, buying into it for a moment. I laughed. I quickly reminded myself of the reality where the evening would have ended were I that girl. It most certainly would have been a disaster. Since when was drinking ever fun for me?

It's Monday and I had a very full, fun, productive weekend. I wasn't sick, I opened my eyes each morning to a day where the world was my oyster and I could do with it what I wished.

I'm grateful for this thread. The remembrance of it brought me back.

I'm happy for those who made it through and for those who had difficulty or didn't, keep at it. This does get easier and it's so worth it!