Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hellrzr
DOS: 08-16-2012

I started a new job at 8 months sober. The first Friday I was there they had a "Beer Friday". I was pretty nervous and just wanted to get out of there. I was offered a beer and I found a magical statement that worked for me. I said, "No thanks, I don't drink." The person just nodded and said that's cool and that was it. I also noticed that way more than half the people there weren't drinking. In my mind everyone always drank all the time but the reality is that just isn't true. We think differently and once you are honest with yourself you can be honest with the rest of the world and you'll find out that no one really cares if you drink or not, it's just your head that tells you they do.

Next time tell them no thanks and that's it. You don't even need to say you don't drink. Another trick is to have your own drink in your hand like a pop or water or tea, whatever. That also tells people that you are good and not looking for anything. Good luck next time and say a prayer and try to mingle without the booze in hand!