Old 08-05-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
kenton

I love imagining us all in the waterfall at the finish line Steely although knowing me I'll probably fall over in the waterfall and cause a whole drama getting rescued. Jeez, I'm embarrassing. Even when I'm sober I'm embarrassing. God knows what I must have been like when I was drinking. Maybe that's why I kept blacking out. It was my mind's way of being kind... so I couldn't remember and cringe about my drunken antics.

So tonight's embarrassment unfolded as follows..... tonight my husband and I and our kids went to a concert that is organised by an old school friend of mine. All the money raised goes to charity. It's set in these beautiful grounds. We sat down this slope near some open land where the kids could run around and play. It was a great evening. Great music, lots of laughs. I sipped my diet coke and all was good with the world. Then it starts getting dark and my youngest daughter runs over to us and she's found a backstage pass on the ground. She's really excited and we take a photo of her with it and then she puts it round my neck and runs off and I listen to more music and forget it's round my neck. Then I go to use the bathroom and when I'm walking back down the slope, I completely slip over in my sandals in the dark on the wet grass (it had been raining earlier) and do a fairly spectacular somersault down the slope. My husband and the kids are off dancing near the stage and I've landed on my back and have a moment or two of panic. Have I broken my back? My neck? Or just my pride? Some fairly drunk people have gathered around me now because they saw the somersault and they're helping me to my feet. I'm a bit dazed and confused and I think they're helping me back to where I was sitting but unknown to me they're taking me backstage because I'm still wearing the backstage pass round my neck. So then before I know it I'm in this tent surrounded by other people with backstage passes all looking confused because they don't know who I am. The kind, drunkish people who helped me to my feet are telling the proper back stage people about my fall and then someone turns up with an ambulance man. He asks if I need to go on a stretcher and at that point I just want to yell, "no I don't need a stretcher. I am a fraud. I'm wearing a back stage pass when I shouldn't be and everyone's making a fuss of me and I'm not even a little bit injured." Instead I thanked him for his offer of a stretcher, told the proper backstage people that they were doing a great job, thanked the kind samaritans for their help and limped out of the tent. Not sure why I limped. I think I just wanted to give them something. After all that fuss, I couldn't just samba out of the tent.

Apart from that incident, it was a fun, sober night. We saw loads of people waiting for cabs at the end of the night. I love that I can always drive us home but the best part is the total absence of a hangover tomorrow morning. That never ever gets dull.

Glad you're feeling good Nands and like you Steely, I love being part of this group. It's a safe place in a sometimes scary, sometimes hilarious world. Night/g'day/yo/guten tag nobenders xxx