Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Tetra

I've had a very very very rough week. Things at work were not great this week and I am mega stressed. As my consultant said when I spoke to him "things never run smoothly around here. You should know that". I am guessing that he went up to theatre giving out because then I got an e-mail saying things had changed again. Anyway not my problem and people can just get over themselves. I only did what he asked me to do.

I was at work later than usual yesterday evening and one of the doctors came in. He asked me how is my wrist now and told me to be careful as it could take months to heal. I was disturbed to hear this. He left and two other doctors came in. I told them what he said and the other one said "ok log into the system there and lets look at your x-rays". So I did and we looked at the reports which I had not seen. I noted one of them had written "diffuse osteopenia in this young woman". I asked what that meant and he said "don't worry. It just means you should drink more milk". Me being me I turned to Dr. Google when I got home. According to Web MD osteopenia is " bone density that is lower than normal peak density but not low enough to be classified as osteoporosis". Great. So I have to worry about this as well as everything else?

In about 10 weeks I will be 37. I am focusing on this a lot right now for some reason which is silly. I didn't know I had this thing until yesterday and the consultant orthopaedic surgeon said nothing about it to me. I feel resentful right now. Alcohol has robbed many things from me and alcohol and smoking and whatever else are a factor in this thing. The site did say it can be reversed by lifestyle changes (in my case give up smoking, coffee and take more exercise). Perhaps I could use it as some kind of wake up call?

Yesterday I got a call from a patient in a panic looking for biopsy results. All the doctors were at the clinic and I am not allowed to give any kind of results over the phone so I said I would fax a copy of the report to his GP. I called the patient again today as this weekend is a bank holiday plus my consultant is going on holidays now for 2 weeks and I couldn't in my heart leave the patient hanging for days with no results. So I wanted to check that he was ok. He told me "thank you. The GP phoned me this morning and everything is fine now. The results were good but thank you for taking the time to make sure I was ok".

Earlier in the week another patient turned up at the office door to thank me for every thing I did for him - getting the procedure organised and booking him back to clinic for the results so quickly. This is why I do what I do.

As my dad said to me today"be happy and spread your happiness around. There is nothing to be afraid of. Absolutely nothing". I will try not to worry and take this on board I guess.

I will start by taking more exercise and drinking more milk.