View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by GreenThumbRN View Post
Hi all, I have 22 days today. It's been up and down. Anxiety has been bad and the past several days I've been so tired I can barely function. Anyone else feel like this early on? I feel like all I read is how great everyone feels and I don't feel that way
It depends a bit what the problem is. If you are a problem drinker and you stop drinking, you are gonna feel great because alcohol was the problem.

If you are an alcoholic of my type, what AA describes as the real alcoholic, then alcohol isn't the problem, it is the solution. When I stop drinking, I take away my solution to life, and things just get worse. Sobriety for me was always a miserable affair. I think it is great you have lasted 22 days. My record was 21 before I became so uncomfortable in my own skin that I picked up again.

I was suffering from alcoholism, and just not drinking does not treat that.
The usual pattern for me was a few days hungover, a few days of feeling quite good about not drinking, then an increasing discomfort around the sober life, until I again sought out the old solution which at least gave me temporary relief.

I needed to do something to treat this internal condition. I never drank for any external reason. It was the internal discomfort. I found a solution in AA. They really seemed to understand what was going on with me, and showed me the way out. When I treated the internal condition through the steps, the drink problem vanished and has never returned.