Thread: The note
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

2F- you mentioned it is time to stop remembering and living in the past. I agree with the living in the past bit. My story (I hope) does not extend to my 2 adult sons being alcoholic, although this scares the crap out of me- and I project guilt on myself, coming from a strong line of male alcoholics going back generations (and depression). My family cut me off 2 years ago (in1 month) after I nearly burnt myself to death.
I will always have fears and doubts of my memories. The trick is to look at them with sober, adult eyes- with maturing emotional awareness and not relive the emotional carnage I was then. I cannot unthank, un-remember,m un-feel. But I can shape the feelings and thoughts. Memories are not facts. They are tainted by distorted thinking, overwhelming feelings- dreadful consequences. All I can to is stay sober (for my own self respect and for my son's and ex), keep moving on my recovery path- alone and always be mindful and always try to be a better person today than yesterday.
Empathy and support to you.