View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
The police are THERE to enforce court orders. And court orders are good ONLY to the extent that you report violations. Believe me, police are trained to take these things seriously. If it isn't an "arrestable" violation, he won't be arrested. Still, every time you report, you are building a record--he can't later claim that some more serious incident later was a one-off aberration or misunderstanding.

Really good to see you--sorry you are still having to deal with this nonsense, but it tends to be an ongoing issue when the other parent is an alcoholic unless/until the alcoholic gets sober or the kids are out on their own.

Hugs!
^^^ Yup! Happened with my ex. The police couldn't arrest him for DUI because the car in which he was drunk was not actually in motion at the time they arrived, but they did report and log the incident and the senior responding officer told me exactly what LexieCat said: if it happens again, the existence of this log will make it easier for them to make an arrest. He could argue that it was all a misunderstanding and he wasn't actually going to drivethe car once, but if it happens again, it's a pattern of activity and not just a one-off.

That's why I also report all of ex's crazy emails and texts and letters to the police liaison in the place where I work - so that if something really bad does go down, it's obvious that it's part of a pattern of behavior and not a momentary lapse in judgment. This was recommended to me by the police liaison.