Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jupiter2

Struggle to stay sober and care for elderly parent

Hello all,

I have been dealing with my elderly father and his terminal illness the past six weeks or so since he was diagnosed. My sister works part time and has been going to the Dr. visits and I have been doing food shopping and errands for him almost every night since I work full time. The other nights I have been going to meetings (maybe 2 a week since he was diagnosed). I have been trying to do what I can during my lunch hour and today went over to his house to call a ride service to set up a ride to a Dr. appointment next week.

My sister flew off the handle and screamed at me that he needs to eat lunch and I will have to wait to call for his appointment. She then began screaming at me that basically I am not doing enough for him. I am already going to just two meetings a week and spending all other evenings taking care of him. I work like a dog during the day. My sister expects me to take 4-8 hours off per week and my job won't allow that. The only thing I can think of is to quit my job and take care of my father, but what about supporting my family (I have a wife and daughter).

I am stretched to the limit and am amazed I haven't taken a drink yet. I have over 7 months sobriety now.

Anyone else struggling with a situation like this? How did you manage to stay sober when the family does not understand that you need meetings and have to support your own family?

A few prayers for my dad would be much appreciated too.

Jup.