View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Robbie64

Hello from a new member

Hi. I'm new here though I have visited SR several times over the past few years. I'm 53 and have had problems with alcohol since 1986, a mind boggling 31 years ago. I've been in and out of counselling since the early 1990s and have been in rehab once, a decade ago.

My health has been totally wrecked by alcohol, I've lost good jobs through it and I'm now at the stage where I know that I can't control alcohol. Instead it is controlling me and I'm thoroughly fed up with it. I've had periods over the years where I haven't drank, the longest being almost 5 months, twice where I managed 3 months and several times where I managed at least a month. But then the cravings kick in and I'm back to drinking again. I think this is because all I do during those periods of sobriety is not drink. I don't change any other aspects of my life.

This time I want to keep away from alcohol for good but there's a lack of services in my area where I can turn to for support, all seem to be directed at getting people to discover what led to them drinking, something that I worked out many years ago. That's why I've signed up to SR. After years of lurking and reading many good posts offering wise words of advice (something I've then usually failed to take on board) I feel that posting here at SR will also ensure that I visit the site every day and can incorporate that into hopefully successful sobriety.

All the best to everyone

Robbie