Thread: Yet again
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
tealily

Lou,

I was a secret drinker too. Buying and hiding wine bottles in my car. Secretly pouring cupfuls in the garage. Hiding them behind dishes and books and laundry so my husband and kids wouldn't see. Falling into bed super late, passing out. Waking up, miserable and full of regret. Disposing of bottles in the morning. Hiding them in garbage so they wouldn't be visible in the recycling can.

What a pitiful existence.

We deserve more. Our families deserve more.

I tried to quit, moderate, cut back, control it, over and over and over, just like probably everyone here. It's so predictable. And it never works.

Finally, now, I feel I've turned a corner. I have taken alcohol off the table completely as an option. It is not worth all I had been harming: my physical, mental and spiritual health, my looks, especially my relationships with the people I love most. Instead of denying myself wine, now, I'm CHOOSING to have a better life. To wake up energized and without regret. To sleep soundly and well. To not be ashamed when I have late-night conversations with my teen kids, because I'm no longer slurring my words. To see the happiness in my husband. To feel my body healing and growing stronger, even feeling younger. I'm CHOOSING that. Not giving something up.

If I can do it, you can too!