View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

My favorite definition of Co-dependency, (and, there are many), is this one:

"Co-dependency is less about relationship with another and more about the lack of relationship with the self"......

The way I see it...both conditions...co-dependency and so called "love addiction" are based out of the need for another person to fill an essential feeling of emptiness. within the self,that can only be filled through the presence of that other person.....

**To me...I think an essential element is that the person, with either condition, will cling to a relationship with another regardless of the pain and damage that it might be doing to them....
Again, favoring another over themselves....a lack of the ability to care for their own welfare, first....

***I would like to add my own opinion on this term "Love addiction", which is a very popularly discussed term, lately....
The state of being in love or falling in love is a very exciting state to be in. It is even normal for it to be so...After all, Mother Nature designed it this way...and is probably a major factor in the continuing of the species.....
There are powerful hormones involved that can put opoids to shame.....especially, in the beginning stages...the early attraction phase...which can last from a few months to about two years....
It is the most natural "high" that a person is likely to ever experience.....
Who doesn't like the feeling of being in love and having it reciprocated? I haven't ever talked to anyone who said that they hated it.....
So.....I don't, personally, think that a person who exhibits the common symptoms of being in love is necessarily "love addicted"....event though they may have some of those addicted type symptoms in the early attraction stage with another person.
Now---here is where I see the sticky wicket...lol.....
Normally, the early attraction stage is the foundation for the relationship to morph into a more mature, and satisfying stage of the ongoing love relationship....marked with increasing emotional intimacy, feelings of safety and contentment and serenity....a further deepening of the bonds of caring....
If a person find themselves going from one person to another for the sole purpose of experiencing the "high" of early attraction, without other investments that are required---just looking for the "feel good"....then, I would think of the term "love addiction" being more appropriately applied.....

The above comments are purely my thoughts on the subjects that have been raised....nothing more.....
This is just a view from a dandylion...lol...