View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
atalose

I'm so mad at this for many reasons. 1. I feel like recovery isn't his top priority.

That's because it's not.

2. He's being selfish and doesn't understand how important this treatment is.

Alcoholics are selfish. This is more important to you than it is to him, obviously.

3. Our marriage is hanging by a thread and he can't compromise and do this for me.

No he can’t and he can’t do it for the kids or his job or his parents or anyone or anything, he has to WANT to not drink. And he doesn’t have that desire.

4. Last weekend was absolutely horrible and he was drunk and/or sleeping the entire time. I can't imagine he'll be able to control himself this weekend, so in my mind the more meetings he can attend this week might help him during the weekend.

If he’s been drunk every weekend since February, the weekends are his “drinking time” something he must look forward to. And attending AA meetings or group meetings get in the way of his weekend plans. You cannot control his drinking, pushing him to attend more meetings on weekends will only back fire on you and push him further away.

Is this a sign that he's not committed to recovery yet?

He doesn’t WANT to stop drinking and he’s not ever going to commit to something he’s not ready or wanting to do.

I think if you are serious about being at the end of your rope and will leave next time he drinks then put those plans in place sooner rather then later. Do you have the funds to leave? Do you have a place to go with your children? Do you have the funds to pay an attorney? Can you support yourself ? See, all of those things need to be in place prior to making the ultimatum that he either stop drinking and seek help or you will leave. Because without the ability to actually back up your words with action you are no different then him saying yeah yeah I'll go seek help then come up with a million excuses on why that's not working out for him.

Maybe look into al-anon meeting for you in your area, seek support for you even if he doesn't for himself.