View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Good morning Bill, just checking in, you must be resting.
Another sunny day here. I got all my errands done yesterday and then had a lot of work with my tourists. Again, another time I was so thankful to be sober, I really gave great service yesterday.
One family was due to arrive from Belgium but they called me and said they would be late due to an accident on the autostrada. Then when they got near they got totally lost. We had difficulty communicating, my French is not very good and their English so so. A lot of phone calls back and forth trying to figure out where they were so I could guide them in. Finally I remembered the brilliant thing on the iPhone "share my location" So I asked them do to that, and was able to go in my car and find them, yay technology! They were hot and angry, saying the directions on the advertising site were wrong. I calmed them down easily and made a quick stop at my favourite gelateria to buy them all a cone of gelato, after that they were very happy! I spoke with other guests and made reservations at restaurants, etc. In the past, I would have been too drunk to want to communicate with anyone, just letting everyone fend for themselves. For one family I recommended this neat restaurant that is located up a windy hill, they serve dinner in the courtyard of an old church and on Monday nights during the summer they have a fixed menu that includes wine pairings and have live jazz music. Yesterday's theme for the music was "American Songbook" a man on piano and a woman singing. They really wanted to go but were worried about paying for the fixed menu with the wine because one person would not drink in order to drive (so responsible!). So I said "how about this? I don't drink, so I will drive you and just eat at a table myself and then whenever you are ready to leave I'll bring you back." They were so surprised and pleased with my offer. The other family that agot lost also wanted a restaurant recommendation so I told them about another great restaurant in the same direction. Later I found them and said I was taking another family that way and asked them if they wanted to follow me to be sure they found it.
So I went to the villa at 19:45 to pick everyone up. I stopped at the first restaurant and introduced the family to the owner and got them settled, I made arrangements to pay for the antipasti platter that they serve (prosciutto, cheeses, olives, bruschetta, etc) and then ran back to the car to continue on to the other restaurant. We arrived and I got the family settled then sat at my little table right up front and had a very relaxing meal listening to the music. They found me later when it was time to go. They were so happy with the night, to be able to taste the wines and not worry about driving. They were not drunk at all, just responsible people who do not drive after drinking.
I got lost in my head when she sang "All of Me" I love that song so much. It was the jazz version, a bit different from Frank Sinatra's version. I almost cried though, I was feeling so happy and so moved by the music.
I didn't get many pictures of the meal, I only took one of one of the antipasti, these delicious stuffed olives that are then breaded and deep fried and served warm.

I hope you will check in and let us all know how you are doing, we miss you!