View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by RuneStone View Post
Fly n by, The step part I have some trouble with. Powerlessness and character defects don't sound like a real 'pick me up'. I'm willing to listen though. I have the desire to stop drinking.
Haaa - yea, you not the first one. I am the same age as you and started my journey a few years back.

When I was young I first watched a couple of the classic alcoholic movies. The Lost Weekend stuck with me for some reason. I thought, wow who could ever get to that point?

In the last couple years of my drinking I thought of that movie as I hide vodka bottles from my wife in the garbage can. She'd never find them here.........naw, powerless?? Not me! I had my pride.

I struggled with powerlessness for a bit - mostly cause I didn't understand the context in the program.

At three years I can make a long list of things I am powerless over. I can also make a list of things I am not. My wife of 35 years falls into the first category

When I engaged in active alcoholism I am indeed powerless over alcohol. Today I do what I need to and don't pick up that first drink. Alcohol has lost it's power over me as long as I continue to do what I need to do. This isn't a sentence, btw - it's a reprieve = freedom.

"Willingness, honesty and open mindedness are the essentials of recovery." It's not a how program, but a Who program........

Glad your here, best on your journey Rune