View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SaveHer

Hi, batchel.

I think anger is much easier than other emotions. Sadness feels bad; fear and loneliness feel bad; but anger feels pretty darn good sometimes. Anger functions like a shield, protecting us when we don't want to feel or aren't ready to feel other emotions.

For example, when I first left my AXBF, I didn't cry. I didn't miss him, and I sure as hell didn't feel sad. Every time I spoke with him, I felt instantly incensed. It was only about a month later that I felt sad for the first time. It was very startling--and boy did it throw me for a loop. I even questioned (briefly) the decision to end our relationship, but by that point, I knew I had made the right decision. If I had felt sad sooner, things might have been different. In a way, anger was a substitute for the sadness I wasn't yet strong enough to feel. And anger is a part of the grieving process.

I can see how as long as your husband feels angry and blames you, he doesn't have to take responsibility. His anger is shielding him too, but in a more self-serving kind of way.