Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Gilmer

The baby arrived a couple of hours ago. Everyone is fine. We'll be taking the siblings over to visit in a couple of hours; their dad texted us some pictures, and they were very excited.

In other news, my daughter wants to increase the amount of vegetables in their diet and reduce the amount of grandparent "spoiling snacks," so I prepared a lunch that I loved when I was a kid: LaChoy Chicken Chow Mein.

It's a little high in sodium, but it's loaded with unusual vegetables whose unique flavors have been subsumed by the salty, chicken-flavored sauce.

I added some canned white meat chicken for extra protein.

I tried to make the dish look exciting and dramatic by first putting a layer of brown rice in their bowls. My plan was to spoon out some chow menu on top, squirt on some soy sauce, then let them top it off themselves with fistfuls of chow mein noodles.

We never got that far, though.

My two-y-o grandson stood up and saw me stirring the vegetables. Immediately he cried out, "That's yucky!"

I tried to assure him that it was actually good and fun, and tasted just like chicken, not vegetables. Like a broken record he whined, "That's yucky" again and again: then he upped the ante with "I hate it!"

It just cracked me up. I guess you have to see him--he's a character. He just turned two--he can barely even speak, yet he's fluent in the outright rejection of vegetables!

My granddaughter had her doubts, too; but I assured her it tasted like chicken and pointed out the mini-corn cobs. She tried it and really liked it.

My grandson wasn't having it, though, so I gave him green beans, rice, and chow mein noodles.

I finally sat down to eat my share when suddenly I recalled his loud declaration of "I hate it!"

I spit out a mouthful all over the table--and some even went up the back of my nose!

Kind of uncomfortable! And a mess, too!

That's been my day so far!