Old 07-07-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

Prefacing this by saying it's broader than just this thread, it's how I feel when I try to help in a lot of different threads..

I don't know what advice to give someone when they are drinking.. Quit? Stop drinking? Ok, right. That is not something someone is willing to hear when they are under the influence of alcohol.. They are there because they couldn't or weren't willing to stop..

It's the best advice I have to give.. because I believe acceptance of the problem and admitting that under NO circumstances is it okay for me to drink, is the only place to start helping myself out of this hole I've been.. I see others in it and I know what to say except the only thing that works is the last thing they'll hear.

Once I got 72 hours sober, I became open to hearing advice on how to recover, but you can't get anywhere while drunk or withdrawing. It's a little like trying to drive with a flat and an empty tank and going "But I have to get to work". You're right, but fix your tire and get some gas first.