View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DiscoNova

Newcomer Looking for Advice

Hello everyone. I don't have any friends that I can confide in or burden with my problems, so I thought I'd seek help here.

My girlfriend's relationship with alcohol is affecting our relationship and I don't know what to do.

Whenever she's had a couple of drinks, her mood changes, she becomes difficult to get along with and she'll get argumentative and upset, saying things like 'I know you don't love me', or 'promise you'll never leave me', etc.

On the occasions she drinks more than this, she heads off to pubs on her own until closing time under the guise of 'I'm writing my book' or 'doing some extra work' and drinks until closing time. Sometimes she texts nonsense and can barely speak on the phone, at which point I know she's wasted. Unfortunately, there have been times when she's been walked home by a stranger, or woken up in an unknown house (thankfully, these were good people). Often she's unable to talk and can't remember how she got home.

She drinks 'socially' most days either after work or with friends, and often when I'm out doing my after-work hobby, but on the days when she drinks to excess I become anxious about her safety and it causes me great stress.

In the morning she'll normally be apologetic, and make all these promises about what she's going to do to fix it, but they're soon broken, and she starts to claim it's not a big problem again. She must have started five journals/logs about drinking, and then stopped after a few days.

We just go around in circles.

I'm so drained by all of it that I've suggested a one-week trial separation, which is tricky considering 1. we live in the same flat and 2. I still love her very much.

But... I don't know what to do.

Can anyone give me any advice?