Old 07-06-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Amends to a family member who is also probably an alcoholic?

So, recently my younger sister was home. She drinks. A LOT. I observe in her many patterns that are similar to my own history. She always reeks of alcohol - either recently-imbibed or metabolizing out.

She talks of alcohol, and of drugs. She behaves oddly. She is frequently drinking, on her way to go drinking, or coming back from drinking. She's 26 - and most of her closest friends are right on board with her.

We were out at a dinner for her birthday, and she became obnoxiously drunk. Her behavior was awkward for all in attendance - including her own drunken friends toward the end.

Later that night, my stepson told me she'd made comments to him indicating her resentment that I had quit drinking and then "just moved on with my life like nothing happened". His takeaway was that she feels I'm supposed to "talk about it with his family". Meaning, I suppose, her.

She's made resentful comments toward me in the past as well - usually when drinking. I know she feels somehow owed something. I know there were times (when both of us had been drinking) that we'd gotten into confrontations. But I honestly don't know WHAT amends it is I may owe her. I don't have her on my list of people wronged. I don't know how or where I wronged her......

So I'm confused about how to approach this. I feel a little frustrated that any time I've tried to have a meaningful conversation with her about our life or family, it's been a little strained. She's young - in body and mind. She's actively engaged in heavy drinking and drugging. And in that state - I know from experience it's difficult to have meaningful connection and conversation about... well, anything.

I'm inclined to just let it sit. I feel like there will come a time for our connection and our healing whatever it is between us that's broken. But I don't know if I'm just using that as an excuse not to act.

Anyway - this is a little bit of a ramble but also am wondering about others' experience in situations where one's sobriety journey necessarily involves a family member who is also clearly struggling with addiction.

Thanks