Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik
saoutchik

WEEKENDER thread, no waking up to shame or embarrassment 7-9 July

Here is a an inconvenient truth, not everyone gets wasted. It is not just teetotallers, we all have friends or acquaintances who drink, maybe even to the point of getting a buzz on but they make it home just fine and without the involvement of any of the emergency services.

They remember what they did the night before and importantly they remember what you did too.

If that wasn't concerning enough the last few years have seen the huge growth of social media platforms giving as the potential to embarrass or humiliate ourselves in front of everyone we know from the comfort of our own homes.

Being late middle aged I do not have any WhatsApp or Instagram disasters on my drinking resume but I have suffered the very analogue shame of throwing a glass in the street, falling into a culvert in front of one of my then teenage daughter and her friends and urinating on a girlfriends parents VCR (remember them?)

Waking up with that unease or dread of things that you cannot remember is the fate of the heavy drinker or user and it is mortifyng. Mostly it is limited to embarrassment but it can be much worse, in this regard FlyNBy posted a link in the Alcoholism forum that went way beyond embarrassment (which gave me the idea for this OP so thank you FlyNBuy)

If we stay clean/sober it is one less thing to have to worry about and besides I really resent having to apologise to people.

Let's have a grrrreat weekend.