Old 07-05-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Well before AA came on the scene there was a group of ex drunks called the Washingtonians. No program, no religion, no higher power, just a great enthusiasm for sobriety and sobering up others. They grew like crazy. I understand one of their meetings had an incredible 35000 in attendance. Then after about five years, the leader picked up, then a few others did, then everyone did and, poof, they were gone. Even a huge group of drunks like that couldn't keep anyone sober.
Fellow SR member GerandTwine would probably know more about the Washingtonians than I do, since he has researched the history behind the recovery movement, but my understanding is that the Washingtonians were effectively swallowed up by the Temperance movement. The temperance movement reached its peak with prohibition, and then subsequently disappeared along with it, although much weaker variants still exist.

If I may use an AA phrase, the Washingtonians disappeared because they lost sight of their original primary purpose, and became involved with other, more powerful groups, who did not necessarily share in their original mission, or necessarily care about its survival. Indeed, this was AA's biggest takeaway from the history of the Washingtonians, and this influenced the Twelve Traditions accordingly.