Old 07-04-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
I think it is important to be clear about what guidance one accepts from a higher power---especially if it is people at a meeting.

Being sober in AA does not make one a good financial adviser, psychologist, matchmaker, or career counselor. Some guidance from the higher power should be rejected.

But for me, developing judgement is a big part of recovery.

I always worry about this idea of having a Group of Drunks as a higher power. It seems to me that a few caveats get left out.
That's where AA starts to seem a bit cultish to me...... when people start to be encouraged to stop thinking for themselves so others or God can do it for them. I'll admit though that I didn't spend very long in AA, I just never GOT it, I'm sure being an atheist didn't help. How can I turn my will and my life over to a HP that I don't believe in, let alone believe this force could cure me? I believe that the only cure is abstinence and that only I am capable of controlling my own mind and body. Plus that's a heavy burden to lay on a group of people who are infallible and no matter how well intentioned they are, basically incapable of keeping anyone but themselves sober.