Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
notgonnastoptry

Anecdata thought: Why did you quit? (are quits successful if not for the Ls?)

I wondering how many people on here, if you'd like to share, quit, quit alone, and quit for the betterment of their health. At many meetings, I've heard it discussed that people don't usually quit unless they are faced with a tragedy or pseudo-tragedy or threatened with one of the three Ls. I know this is my case, for sure, and even after being threatened with life the first time, I relapsed.

Sadly, I was never able to quit just for the "sake" of quitting and getting better or knowing I was going down the wrong road. Sadly, for me (and others, it seems) it took the shock of nearly losing something.

I ask because some of my good friends would like to quit but I can't convince them because they haven't reached the "yet" phase, but are well on their way there, that's for sure.

So, yeah, I'll start. I quit because I was threatened with my life, in the hospital. I nearly died. I've been sober a little over a year. I did have a series of "quit" alone at home without any ill-effects, but I went right back, simply because there didn't seem to be very high stakes associated with it.