View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
halfalife

You are likely on SR for similar reasons as the lot of us...wanting to improve our lives because the chaos associated with drinking became unmanageable - thus we start to recognize we all have abnormal attachment to our chosen substance. Enter addiction, withdrawals, blackouts, legal issues, failing health, damaged relationships, isolation, etc., etc., etc. There is a reason you are here and keep coming back.

I was a binger, nightly..at least 4-5 days a week and then a day or so in between to recover to begin the cycle again. I never saw the train coming. I was arrogantly surprised at one point a couple years ago that my body/mind/spirit must be tolerant of the constant drunk malaise to allow it to go on so long. And then the arrogance wore off and I woke up sick, disgusted with myself, and who I had become. It had finally caught up with me. It catches up with all of us in different ways. Sometimes after 3 years, sometimes after 30 years.

For me, it finally escalated within the last 3 years to two+ bottles of red wine, easily drinking a bottle of vodka or most of it...the progressive nature is not a fallacy.
It will get worse. It appears to be the great conquest of the alcoholic - to prove that it won't get worse for us.

Most of the long timers with years of sobriety advise that the earlier we enter recovery - life gets better for us. I am putting ALL my bets on it. And guess what? So far it's getting better.

There will be a consequence for me if the habit is continued, and it will be painful and life diminishing in many many ways - I know that be almost a guarantee.

Wishing you strength and courage to find a way through this struggle. As you know, you have found a safe place for support here. Good luck to you.