View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tomsteve

good on ya,vick!
i know a woman i met in the rooms of AA early on. listened to her a lot as what i was hearing about the thinking- welp, i thought she was reading my mind!
it was about 2 or 3 years later with a group out for coffee we were sharing past stories of insanity( i never would have thought id be able to laugh at a lot of that crap, but i can now).
so, she was talkin about a time stumblin out of a crackhouse and walkin right up to a cop car and tellin them to take her to jail. it occured to me that whenever we'd be out for coffee or whatever and sharing the insanity, she would be talking about when she was on drugs.
so i asked her what that was about. she said something to the effect:
" i very rarely ever drank. i am an addict. im addicted to more- more of whateveryagot. as whacked out as it sounds, i didnt like the effect of alcohol.when i 1st read the bb, i didnt relate. then a woman said," seems youre reading it and focusing on the alcohol. try changing anywhere it talks about the drinking and fill it in with using and drugs. then look at the thinking." when i did that everything in there was me at one time or another."

alcohol AND drugs are only the symptom of deeper problems- problems many of us alkies and addicts have in common.

Originally Posted by Vick1 View Post
Yes, for sure. Talked me into going to an AA meeting sometime next week, so thanks guys, and thank you Dee for the warm welcome. Hopefully when I'm clean and not spending every living minute thinking about taking something to make me feel better I'll be able to give something back to the community.

Peace