Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
miamifella

I used to be in AA but am not any longer. It is definitely not for everyone. But I do think there would be value in checking out some meetings.

The strength and weakness of AA is that it is decentralized. Meetings and interpretations of the program vary greatly--even within the same group. So while there may be meetings you hate, there may also be meetings you love. The process of deciding which meetings you like will force you to determine the priorities of your recovery. It will force you to observe what does and does not work for you.

If you are afraid of letting your guard down then the solution is obvious: Don't let your guard down. If you do not want to attend meetings for decades: Then don't attend meetings for decades. Again, determining your level of involvement will help you direct your own recovery.

I disagree with a lot of stuff in the program. However, I learned a good deal during my time in the program. Hearing others tell their stories, hearing other recommend helpful books, recovery techniques, strategies for dealing with family or work....all of this is helpful.

For me the greatest benefit was gaining a vision of recovery. Having a vision means I am working toward health and wholeness (rather than fleeing addiction).

The reasons you give for not going are mostly fear of things that are in your control. I suspect that your hesitation is more rooted in the uncertainties of entering this new phase of your life.

AA may or may not be right for you. The important thing is that you must take actions for your recovery. Get the ball rolling.

Going to AA is an action--and even if after a couple meetings you walk away, you still took some action and that is going to change you.

What can you do today? You can still do all those other things you are researching. But what can you do in the next few hours to move toward recovery?

AA can be a starting place...even if it is not your ending place. It was definitely not for me...but I do not know where I would have ended up without it.