Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

For the record, at that point in your post, nobody was rolling their eyes and they didn't after that either. At least I wasn't, because I completely understand where you're coming from.

It depends on the meeting format. The bigger the meeting and the more casual the format, the more comfortable newcomers feel. I went to one that had maybe 50 people and it was open discussion. People would throw out three different topics and then people could speak as they felt comfortable, no going around the room in order, or feeling nervous because your turn was coming up, you could just sit and listen. Newer people mostly spoke at the beginning and old timers towards the end, and there was obviously a difference in the content of what they shared.. the newer people talked mostly about their struggle with cravings, "I wanted to drink so bad today".. the old timers spoke more about what they have learned by going through the steps and by leading younger alcoholics through the steps. I learned so much from listening to those.

When I moved and couldn't make that meeting anymore, the first ones I tried where I live now STUNK. The people were really closed off and I got nothing out of it. I took a long break where I was totally opposed to ever trying a meeting again.. finally I tried one, a Big Book discussion, and it was so different. The leader of the meeting introduced himself, made me feel welcome, encouraged me to participate, and introduced me to a nice lady he thought could help me find more meetings that were right for me.

You have to make connections, especially with old timers who know where the best meetings are and will introduce you to other people. You'll find there are some fake people, but lots of real ones, too, and they will help you.