Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

After three months of not drinking (let alone after just two weeks) I know how absolutely fantastic it was to finally get that wonderful buzz from booze all over again. It truly was a deep deep pleasure. The hangovers were worth it. Like you, I would just try to sleep and drink some more to keep the pain down. Maybe taper off after several days. I was also a binge drinker.

Were I to hear "it was no fun", that would be all Addictive Voice. I know the deep pleasure overrode all other expected negatives.

Were I to hear "don't look in the rear view mirror" it would again be the AV speaking. Looking in the rear view mirror is what got me to finally decide to make that ONCE in a lifetime Big Plan - I will never drink again. After making that once in a lifetime pledge, only then was there no reason to dwell on the "looking in the rear view mirror". "Looking" anywhere has nothing to do with maintaining pledged abstinence.

Were I to think my Beast was selfish because of how I sacrificed my family's trust for gross self indulgence that would be all Addictive Voice. My Beast can be called any adjective I can think of, so it makes no sense to pick out "selfish". My Beast is simply "singleminded" by definition. IT wants ONLY alcohol and will play any adjective to get it. But "selfish" WOULD apply perfectly to ME once I decided to go along with my Beast and ...MMmmmMMMMMmmmm!!... drink some more. Then I would be clearly selfish for going along with IT.

Were I to hear that I ought to do certain things to keep me from drinking - like swallowing certain nutritious liquids or solids - I would know that was the Addictive Voice. There's no reason I must engage in certain behaviors to keep from swallowing more alcohol.

If I were to tell strangers familiar with AVRT that I understood the Big Plan and that I had made that pledge, yet I was at the same time unwilling to tell my own anxious children who had witnessed me drunk many times that I had finally made that pledge, then I would expect those strangers to suspect I was again just blowing some hot air.

Here's the way I thought when I used to decide to drink again. "My drinking isn't really so awful because I'm very careful to not create serious problems while drunk. I deserve that fantastic pleasure." So I didn't really think it was wrong for me to drink again. "Looking in the rear view mirror" finally got me to change that evaluation. "All that havoc I have left behind me has finally rendered ME willing to break the compact with the DRUNKEN ME." It was over. I was willing to KILL OFF the DRUNKEN ME and I DID kill it. The Beast was rendered helpless, but IT barked up a storm emotions for quite a while. For me it was much more emotion than words.