View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

So nobody bothered to tell me they'd be doing all the pre-op testing today. My appointment was for 11, doc was running late--it was after noon, I think, when he finally got there, and I JUST got home--all day without eating. No fasting required, I just didn't know I'd BE there so long!

I got to meet some of the surgeon's other patients (all cancer patients) in waiting area, and they all could not sing his praises enough--they said he's the BEST. And sure enough, wonderful, pleasant young guy who explained everything very carefully (much of which I've already forgotten--I'm calling the nurse who ANSWERS ALL QUESTIONS for a couple of details I've forgotten.

He seems less certain than my pulmonologist is that this will turn out to be cancer. He didn't want to put a percentage likelihood on it, and he agrees it's suspicious enough it needs to come out. But they will start with removing only the part of the lung with the tumor, and not remove the entire lobe unless they have to. He said my lung function is "excellent" (glad I gave up cigarettes when I did!), so if the lobe has to be removed I should be fine. They will have the tumor cells examined while I am still "under" and at that point they will decide whether more surgery is needed. If no cancer they won't touch the lymph nodes.

It will be minimally invasive surgery--either VATS or robotic surgery, depending on which operating room is available. He said they are basically the same in terms of outcome. He said the only thing that might require a full incision ("open" surgery) would be if there were uncontrolled bleeding--then they need to get in and control it.

He will call me with the PET scan results tomorrow. If there is any sign of spread, then he said they would do chemo/radiation first, and then surgery. But he's pretty optimistic that there won't be.

So all in all it's looking good. He said they COULD do it on Monday and I asked how long if we wait till after the holiday. He said they can do it the following week. So right now I'm tentatively scheduled for Monday 7/10 unless something opens up sooner after the Fourth.

He said I seem very healthy otherwise, and should recover fast. There's a small chance I could go home same day, but otherwise 2-3 days max, assuming they can do the minimally invasive procedure.