View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Bobbieka

Thought for the Day

Each Day a New Beginning

Mental health, like dandruff, crops up when you least expect it.

—Robin Worthington

We're responsible for the effort but not the outcome. Frequently, a single problem or many problems overwhelm us. We may feel crazy, unable to cope and certain that we have made no progress throughout this period of recovery. But we have. Each day that we choose sobriety, that we choose abstinence from pills or food, we are moving more securely toward mental health as a stable condition.

We perhaps felt strong, secure, on top of things last week, or yesterday.

We will again tomorrow, or maybe today. When we least expect it, our efforts pay off - quietly, perhaps subtly, sometimes loudly - a good belly laugh may signal a glimmer of our mental health.

No one achieves an absolute state of total mental health. To be human is to have doubts and fears. But as faith grows, as it will when we live the Twelve Steps, doubts and fears lessen. The good days will increase in number.

Meeting a friend, asking for a raise, resolving a conflict with my spouse, or friend, will be handled more easily, when I least expect it. Looking forward with hope, not backward, is my best effort-today.