View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
alterity

Thanks, hopeful. Your message thwarted my intentions of drinking that night (6/19) and I haven't had a drink since whenever it was that I drank last (sometime around the beginning of June).

I got a call on Friday from B. He told me that he had left the rehab about a week before Fathers Day because he had drank very strong coffee there that was causing him to think erratically and to be impulsive. Since he is a stimulant addict with brain chemistry that is fragile and on the edge, I can totally believe that. Turns out, however, that he went back to the Jersey shore area and got his old job back right away including greater number of hours per week which he needs in order to get by financially. He stayed at the homeless shelter for a week, toughing out the rough schedule of being woken every morning at 5:30am after ending long work shifts at 1pm.

When Dad found out that he had left the rehab, he severed ties with B. As warned, if he left, Dad would no longer support him financially. In order for Dad to stick to his guns with this, he has had to close down communication between him and B.

Fortunately, within a week, he secured a place in a sober living house so his schedule eased tremendously. On Fathers Day, B moved in to the sober house, which is managed by a man who has the same name as Dad. Quite the coincidence, we think. I'd call it kismet.

In our conversation, B recognized that he had been taking sports supplements that "people say" where causing him to have schizophrenic symptoms. It has only taken B two years to realize this? Or maybe this is just the first time that I have heard it from his own mouth. He's taking meds and sounds very depressed (very dangerous side effect of anti-psychotics). On the positive side, it sounds like he has some sort of support around him that doesn't include family so he can make decisions for himself and live as independently as possible under the circumstances. He speaks with his mother daily, which is also a good thing.

Small steps in the right direction.... (despite what Dad thinks) Everything fell into place for B. The only thing that did not work out was Dad's efforts to control him.