Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
argillaceous

Hi Weekenders!

This week has been an odd juxtaposition of going by very, very slowly and also feeling like somehow the days just disappeared.

Della, when I was growing up we had dogs, mostly strays that my sister would bring home. One of the several we had during my childhood was my constant companion as I rode my bike to play in the park or explore the pond near our home. I was surprised at depth of my emotion when he passed, and realized then how important he had been to me growing up. Yes, they truly are family.

LadyBlue, it's reassuring to know there will be someone at the bridge to greet Argus. I'm sorry to hear that you feel waited too long. I don't think there is such a thing as "just doing the right thing." I think we make decisions from a loving place, and we do the best we can at any given time. Which I'm sure is what you did for Waffles (p.s. love the name).

When I saw Argus today, he had much more energy than in previous days, chowed his entire dinner, and went out in the yard several times. When I see things like that I think, "No, wait, it's not his time yet..."

But then I have to remind myself that he can only walk about a total of three houses up and three back before his back legs start failing him; that he stands in the room we are in and doesn't hear us trying to call (and even then is reluctant to move or lay down); that in addition to going deaf, he is exhibiting signs of blindness; and much more.

You're right, knowing that you are doing the responsible thing doesn't make it easier, but I have always said that I would rather lose a pet a little earlier than its time than a little later. And I do feel strongly that as a pet owner, I have a responsibility to ensure that my pets leave this life with dignity.

FeelingL0st, I've always thought it was unfair that dogs lived such short lifetimes compared to us. But I remember reading somewhere that if dogs outlived us, then they'd be the ones who would be sad and lonely. I was somehow comforted by that because I think if I went first Argus wouldn't really understand and as a pack animal might feel the loss deeply.

Also, I appreciate the invitation to stay sober with you this weekend. It makes me feel like we're all in this together.

Petals, sorry to hear that your dog may also be ending what I'm sure has been a very full and rewarding life. As LadyBlue's cousin noted, making this decision is the most loving and unselfish thing you can do as a pet owner. As hard as it is, I really do believe that.

And hugs back at 'cha...

And thanks to everyone else who has posted their sentiments for our upcoming loss. It is very comforting to feel like my SR peeps are there for me.

Last edited by argillaceous; 06-22-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: slight sentence restructure