View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
captainkitty

frustrated by lack of empathy

I have to say this is one of if not my biggest issue with people.
I realize I am codependent and tend to attract problematic and abusive people and I need to work on that. But, I am still going to be a highly empathetic caring person. Maybe it's just me, but I find most people to have no empathy. I could give you a 100 examples but here are a few.
I had just had my dog put to sleep and I went to the convenience store I go to every day and chat with the lady who works there. I told her I just had my dog put to sleep. She's a huge dog lover and we chat about our pets...she said absolutely nothing in response...
After my dad died I called a friend who had always inquired how my dad was doing and even knew my dad...when I called to say he died all he said is "so what else is going on?"
When an old boyfriend recently called to catch up, we chit chatted for a while and I told him I was really concerned about my health from drinking so much. His response.."well if you are sick, you did this to your self and I have no sympathy"
I find all of this so utterly shocking and don't understand people... how hard is it to show empathy...????