View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

I honestly can't remember what got me started, but I found myself ordering books about mindful recovery and started meditating. I think that was because the Four Noble Truths seem to speak directly to addiction, or at least to craving and wanting...

I then dabbled and learned about RR, SMART, Refuge Recovery, went to a few AA meetings (when out of town; didn't trust anonymity in this small town)...

But SR was my sober community. I pretty much did it solo otherwise (with support from my long sober wife, who, by the way, never read or did anything related to recovery - just quit and that's it).

The mindfulness thing morphed into weekend retreats and online classes in Buddhism. I also started taking classes toward addiction counseling certification, which taught me a lot. Some classes were online and some were two or three day intensives. I was planning to continue that direction but a new job fell in my lab, so we'll see.

I come back to SR more out of habit than need these days, and to get a sense of where people's heads are at... People do seem to go through stages and have different needs at each stage. I found that true for me. Right now I'm between jobs so with time off I'm on SR more than usual. I keep thinking I'll move on but there are some folks here I like to touch base with now and then...

Ciao.