Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Sorry about your mom zero, that's really sad that she never gave herself this gift of sobriety.

When I think about my dad I get really sad. We were estranged for years and although we talk now it's not an easy flowing relationship. I don't know how to fix it without rehashing the past and the truth is that he's a sick old man and I don't want to lay a guilt trip on him. What's done is done. I know he's lonely though and that I hurt him deeply when I cut him out of my life at the same time that I left my husband. I told both of them to take their misogynistic selves elsewhere and gave them my back. I worry though that I'll keep putting off mending those fences until it's too late and I'm left with unsaid words and guilt for the rest of my days.......

You may be done with the past, but the past isn't done with you.

For today I'm just glad that drinking isn't ruling my life and that I can think with a clear mind about how to proceed with my future. I'm not stuck like broken record, playing the same song on a loop.

Ananda, what do you do to improve your life other than not drinking? I know I've quit before and was miserable and ended up going back to it. I think part of my misery was that I hadn't really accepted that the drinking was over so I didn't allow myself to embrace my new life and all the potential I could have in it.