View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

That's how I did it, mostly through LSR (that is a build-your-own-program non-program), especially through Marty Nicolaus's books. I used to go to LSR meetings, Smart meetings, even sometimes AA meetings just as a counterpoint. And weekly outpatient drop-in group meetings led by profession counselors, after I finished an intensive outpatient program that was critical for me the first couple months. Several of us LSR folks later formed freestylerecovery.org mostly as a resource collection, and that mix/match approach is what we advocate too.

The thing that appealed to me about this approach is that it put me entirely in control, I wasn't following anyone or any program or any cookbook, I couldn't do anything "wrong" because I got to decide what worked for me, and I had multiple places to get help if I felt I needed it.

It's not an approach for everyone, but it's the ideal approach for some.

I can't say I work anything anymore, I'm kinda detached from recovery world and just plain sober and happy nowadays, but that's how I got to this point, mix and match what works.