View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Well, THIS sucks

So I was feeling pretty good about my good blood work for my recent doctor's visit--she was thrilled about my weight loss and my blood sugar and blood pressure had both dropped to normal. I went back for my yearly low-dose CT scan for lung cancer screening, which I had started (at her suggestion) a year ago. There was a small nodule, but when I went back for a repeat a few months later, no change, so they told me to come back in a year.

Anyway, followup visit with pulmonologist today, and the damn thing is larger than it was a year ago. Nothing dramatic--it went from .7 cm to .9 cm. Bottom line, it is almost certainly malignant (1-2 percent chance it isn't).

So I am having my fun, concert-filled summer interrupted by surgery to remove one of the lobes of my left lung. I'm not freaking out--he said they will remove the lymph nodes and do a PET scan, and if those are clear the surgery should be the only treatment I will need--not even chemo/ radiation.

My job is very supportive--they have said, "Anything you need." I told my brother and my ex (kiddos' dad), and have decided NOT to say anything at all to my 87-y/o dad, who would do nothing but worry endlessly about this for the rest of his life.

I will probably have to spend a week in the hospital, which is right now the worst part of the deal. I have an appointment for a breathing test tomorrow (to make sure my lung capacity is sufficient--no shortness of breath, so that shouldn't be an issue), and an appointment with the surgeon next week. Hopefully I can get this surgery scheduled ASAP and I can get on with my summer. Fortunately, no work travel scheduled till September (though doing a training day after tomorrow about 3 hours away from here).

Anyway, just wanted to share. Good thoughts, vibes welcome.