Old 06-20-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

zen, I agree except that I wouldn't call it blame. Alcohol feels good to almost everybody, but not everybody gets addicted, that is, not everyone's brain reward center gets hijacked. Neurobiologists are beginning to amass evidence regarding precursors to addiction; why some do and some do not develop substance use disorders. I.E. the "set up." Some of the answers to that are pretty obvious, but we're learning more about how it works in the brain. Saying you were "set up" doesn't mean you're blaming your parents or anyone or anything else; it's just acknowledging history. I went to a music festival the other day where almost everyone was high or at least drinking. I enjoyed focusing on how good it felt NOT to be high or drunk. Not something I used to think about. My brain is changing, and that, my friend, is entirely my doing and my responsibility, just like the fact that I used to go to shows and if I wasn't high I would be thinking about where I could find something and how good it would feel to be high. Now is more important than the past or the future, to be sure, but we learn from our pasts, and we ought to consider future consequences of choices we make now. Cause and effect. Not blame; just reality.