Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Rough Time in the ER But Didn't Think of the Booze

Had a rough time Saturday night four hours in the ER with a bowel obstruction complete with agonizing seizures (about an 8 on a 1-10 scale) for four hours. I asked for medication to control the seizures and although they promised this forthwith they delayed until just prior to my discharge, offering no explanation why, despite their saying "Right away, I'll tell the doctor" several times over the three and a half hour period. Nothing happened. Then, after a Catscan I returned and found that someone had hung up my call button on a wall so I could not reach it nor could I get out of the Gurney. If I'd had a heart attack or stroke (I've had two heart operations and have a Pacemaker) I would not have been able to get them to call the crash cart. When I asked the nurse for the call button she gave it to me and simply said, "Oh, someone must have hung it up on the wall!" (That's strange," I replied, "That thought also occurred to me!") Low on the Triage List. I glimpsed several arrested prisoners getting preferential treatment. They had cops to speed things up! Wanted to get them back to the slammer!
Is this a "poor me" pity pot routine? I'm simply delighted that my AV remained docile in its cage and that the thought of booze did not occur to me. Unless my AV had a conspiracy with the docs to withhold the anti seizure meds so I would hit the bottle when I got home. That didn't happen either. But I better watch out. Self congratulation is another trigger for a relapse. Yes, the doc and my AV. But that's paranoia! Wow! I better quit this and go to bed!

W