View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Have you read all the AVRT threads, SS? There's some great stuff there.

I love the fight analogy. I often think of the initial battle with the Beast as a wrestling match, whichever part had control flipped and flopped...I pinned the Beast, then was pinned by the Beast. It proved to be a long exhausting series of matches that never ended. The way I actually won the battle was I gave IT the finger and left the mat altogether. I realized that fighting is engaging, and engaging in any way leaves the door open for me to lose. I can't lose if I don't engage. You feel me?

There are many of us who don't follow a 12 step program, or any program really, so you're not alone there. Not by a long shot. While a design for living may be necessary for some, blanket statements about what "real recovery" looks like and that certain components are absolutes to changing your life...well, that's just not true. The only that is an absolute must if you want to quit drinking, is to actually quit drinking.