Thread: HP question
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
I'm working step 3 with an ace sponsor.
I have no problem with a HP but not one that lives deep down inside me. It's definitely "out there" and for sure its not me. My sponsor seems to interpret this as "You must find a HP or you will die".
Well, I've always known it was there and I've overcome the idea that it wouldn't concern itself with puny ole me and am much happier as a result of step 2.
Now I've written all that I'm not sure what question I am asking.
I feel that my faith in my HP is being criticised and that I'll have to tell my sponsor a lie. Not that I have got to the point of turning my will and my life over yet. I'd worry what's going to be expected of me.
Perhaps someone out there in the world has experience of this.

find a HP or not, we're going to die. and finding an HP isnt about doing it or we will die- it is about finding one that can help us with our problem
a person is allowed to have whatever conception/perception of an HP they want, but usually best if that HP isnt themselves.

step 2 is
came to believe in a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
i think the big book says:
. i think the bb even says:
We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

do you believe the HP you have can restore you to sanity?
how we find out IF that HP could restore us to sanity- welp, thats right in the step:
CAME to believe.....by working the rest of the steps.

no need to be worried about what would be expected at step 3. IF your sponsor has expectations, thats their problem. sponsors arent supposed to have expectations of sponsees as far as i know
step 3:
Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

the explaination of why starts at the bottom of pg 60 and goes to pg63.

we made a decision to turn it over....and continue on to step 4.

each step prepares us for the next step.

p.s.

as mentioned above- it is wise not to put sponsors on a pedastal. theyre humans,too.