Thread: scared
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I can understand why you're wrestling with the fear that your AB may one day drink again, as relapse is common in alcoholics. Just as relapse is common in folks with diabetes or in folks who overeat. That's because these are chronic conditions that don't ever go away and require daily management to keep them in check.

Is your AB actively working a recovery program? Is he attending meetings regularly? If so, he's showing you through his actions that he's doing his best to stay sober. If not, then I'd be somewhat concerned.

I guess you're either going to have to let go of the fear that he'll drink again one day and embrace the fact that he's not drinking at the moment or decide that the fear is too great and move on.

I ended my relationship with my AB of 23 years in March, and I haven't begun to date again. But I know that I would not feel comfortable dating a recovering alcoholic. I've suffered enough pain from my ex-partner's alcoholism to last a lifetime. I don't want to live in fear and always worry about a potential relapse. I don't want alcoholism to consume another day of my life. I know that if I were dating a recovering alcoholic that I'm not strong enough or healthy enough yet to let go of the constant worry over a potential relapse.

But you have to do what's right for you. And Alanon can help you decide.

Welcome to SoberRecovery.