Thread: No surprises
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
VigilanceNow

Regarding hiding it, perhaps he is like me and many other alcoholics who derived a kind of sick high from thinking we were getting away with something... As I said, I almost never was and it just drove my friends and family crazy. I only realized this is retrospect, that for me part of the disease was feeling sneaky and like I was outsmarting people. While he's fully active in the drinking, there's no way for him to see how obvious it is when he's under the influence. I have a good friend who has recently been behaving like this - shows up drunk to random things and acts like nothing is up, and I think my god is this what I was like?! Yup.

It will take a while for your husband to rebuild your trust if and when he gets sober. Facing that monumental task was enough to make me relapse several unfortunate times, but that was part of my journey, as they say. Keep taking care of yourself and stick to your guns if he just can't bring himself to get a plan together. Hope that helped a little :-)