Thread: scared
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
eonium

Unhappy scared

my friend is a recovered alcoholic, he hasn't been drinking for almost 2 years, that's the longest period he's ever managed through. i met him after he became sober. i like him so so much... we became very close and attached to each other.

my dad was an alcoholic, he died of cirrhosis just 10 days ago. he never ever even tried to stop drinking.... all until he got very ill, but it was too late. my whole family suffered so much because of his drinking. that's in short...

i promised myself i would never ever get attached to any more alcoholic in my life, but here i am. i'm so afraid my friend might get back to drinking one day again... i care for him so much, i support him to stay away from alcohol and everything. i know i should think positive, i really try to be positive, but i don't think i could stand to see another more person close to me destroying himself with drinking. if that ever happens, i think i'll set boundaries, deattach myself and disappear.... i can not stand watching that ever again. once when we talked hypothetical how would i react if he switched back to drinking, i told him that... i think he got hurt and disappointed because he thought i'd be there no matter what. my tolerance about dealing with drunk people is so short because i grew up in the family with an alcoholic and because it ended like that. urge to protect myself from being hurt again would be stronger. is my honesty cruel? any advice on what should i do if that eventually happens? i'm suddenly so scared.

thanks