View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
honeypig

Hey, glam--welcome to SR, and glad you decided to come out into the open and do some posting.

What you have noticed does seem to be true, there are more women posting here than men, hence the preponderance of stories where the A is a man. However, the gender of the active A doesn't make a substantial difference, at least in my opinion. The problems are the same.

You state you've been sober for 7 months. Are you following a program like AA? Do you have some support in real life, or are you white-knuckling it on your own? It kind of sounds like the latter to me, since you made no reference to talking to other A's or a sponsor about the situation. I'd strongly suggest some support for yourself, and Alanon is a great resource for anyone living with an active A. Checking out their site and perhaps reading some of their literature will help you get more out of the meetings when/if you do go.

Real recovery starts with putting down the bottle, but it doesn't end there, not by a long shot.

If you've been lurking here for a while, then you surely know by now that it's futile to try to force your wife to change, to stop drinking, to do anything. It doesn't really matter if you can afford inpatient treatment for her if she's not interested in getting sober. It won't accomplish anything.

The only person you can change is yourself. The only person you can make decisions for is yourself.

Keep reading, keep posting, and please do consider Alanon for your status as the spouse of an A as well as some form of support for your own alcohol issues.