Old 06-17-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
gleefan

Hi everyone!

Mark - Welcome!

Gilmer -Good luck on your exam!!

It's been a really unusual week and a half or so at work. Last week, I had to address an issue where it was suspected that a person on my team was under the influence the previous night. He was delirious and unable to properly process his work. I decided not to terminate him - yet and he pushed back when he was placed on warning! This week a woman on staff confided in me that she was suicidal. I had to keep her occupied and talking while my colleague called 911. These situations aren't the norm in my role, but they are part of the job. I'm grateful that I can address these situations calmly, without exploiting the individuals affected, by using my recovery tools. Just as my hp would want!

I've always wanted to be a social worker, who people trusted and could count on, who handled emotional crises. When I feel like I could use a drink, I remember that I wouldn't be getting paid to handle these unique situations if I drank!

Stargazer - For me, the spiritual component of my days' events cannot be overlooked. On Tuesday when I handled the suicidal woman, would you know that I heard from the closest people in my recovery network?? I could rationalize that it was a coincidence, but it feels so much more warm and fuzzy to say there are no coincidences.

Courage - I'm glad your colleague turned out to be like minded about the conference.

Del - A positive attitude will get you far. Work is hard, long, and tiring sometimes, but it allows for some stability and predictability.

Carlos - Hey #12, I hope you have good weather for your garage sale.

Have a great sober day all!