View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BFT

How to deal with relapse?

I posted a while ago about my friend (the thread is called "My friend" and I am sorry that I cannot link it because I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post links) and actually he is still going strong. He has broken all of his personal records of staying sober in the last 20 years. He managed to double his amount of time he ever managed to stay sober.
I have to say that I am really happy for him but on the other hand, I must admit that I do not really trust it... I don't know why but I feel like he will relapse sooner or later. I actually feel a bit mean about that but for me everything just went too easy and too well to be trusted.
We talk a lot about many things and his drinking and drug problem often comes up. He is very open about it and admits how hard it is for him emphasizing the positive effects of sobriety at the same time. He actually told me that he was a couple of times in situation he was about to relapse but managed to walk away from it, feeling like a looser right afterwards and feeling great the next day for having been able to resist.

I know that if he relapses, I will most probably be the first person he is going to tell but at the same time it would be a huge effort for him to do so (he respects me very much, up to a point that sometimes I feel like he is scared of me in a very awkward way).

Since I am already mentally prepared for that moment, I am kind of easy with it. I mean, I would not be disappointed or anything, I just see it as part of the journey and for me personally it would not be such a big deal, since I am expecting it anyway (you know, when you expect something to happen but for yourself it won't change much if it will really happen or not).
On the other hand, I don't want to upset him with my reaction. I know how important I am to him just listening to him. I cannot offer any advice and I don't feel like being in the position to offer him advice on his addiction but I know that it helps him very much that he just has somebody he can tell anything (not just his addiction, all the good and the bad things happening in life) and who will listen without judgement (this is actually going into both directions: I can blow off steam with him too if I need to or share my happy moments with him and he will listen and be happy with and for me).

Anyway, I would be grateful if you could tell me about your personal experiences with relapse and how you wish your loved ones would react/would have reacted to it.

I once offered him that he should feel free to call me if he feels the need to talk to somebody and he replied that he for sure would not call me just for the fact if I would give him **** he would go for some extra hard drinks hehe!

Well, I would not grumble at him because I would just take it as a fact. I am well aware that I would not be able to change anything about it and so I am kind of indifferent of the fact itself. On the other hand, I don't want to hurt a person who means something to me and who I like. If it happens he will hate himself so much that there will be no need for another person making him feel even worse and I don't want to be that person.