Old 06-14-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Forced to Drink - Apparently It's a Thing

OK, the subject line is a bit of click bait. Sorry. Interesting situation, though, so keep reading...

Road tripping with Mrs Nons last weekend, so we were listening to a lot of podcasts. (It's our thing!) One of the podcasts was an interview with David Sedaris.

If you don't know him, he's an author and humorist frequently on NPR. Also a former meth head and alcohol addict. He is an American, but he lives in Europe.

He has a new book out, hence the publicity tour. The interviewer asked him about how he gave up alcohol and he said simply that he just decided to quit. He said some friends told him that would never work - you can't just decide to quit drinking, but that just fueled his resolve (which I can relate to!). He never mentioned AVRT, RR, or a BP, but the relationship was clear to me.

He also told a story I thought was intriguing. He was asked if it is more difficult to stay sober on tour than at home. He said Americans are generally more perceptive. When he declines a drink Americans seem to understand right away don't press the issue. In Europe they keep after you if you decline. Once he was at a wedding reception in France and they were at the toasting round. The bride's mother was adamant that he take champagne to toast. He refused, so she dipped her finger into the champagne and jammed it into his mouth.

That story made me think about the hundreds of times I have read (or written) on these forums that alcohol could never get into my mouth without my permission. Apparently it can!