View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
wpainterw

WpainterW wrote:
"A few escape and manage to take the long road back. Like some brutalized battalion, staggering back from the carnage of ravaged trenches."
Hey, Bill! Isn't that a bit of an overstatement?
Well, I gotta admit you've got a point there! But still, it's a good line. May invoke that famous painting where the blinded, gassed Tommies are being led in single file with hands on each other's backs (WW1-but y'all too young to remember that!). When I was in a rehab 19 years ago a guy was brought in by his pals who had become a sort of walking drugstore, having taken all the possible pills he could find. He recounted how he had become completely paranoid , holed up in his apartment and got food sent in by a basket he hung on a rope out of his window. Round the clock panic attack. Said he had dreams about being sucked down into a bottomless black vortex. In a week or two he cheered up and got started on the long road back. That's something we all can do but we should not throw up our hands at influencing those who have a punitive attitude towards addiction.
Reasonably good thread, Bill. No one's perfect! My comments are kindly meant!

Bill (W.)