View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
IvanMike
NA Member - Atheist

We're powerless over more than just our addiction. We're powerless over what other people do. Pure genius to have "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change" first ~ there's a lot more of them than things we can change.

I didn't find doom & gloom in the post, just sadness. When you get clean & sober and stick around you watch a lot of people go in and out and never give themselves a break long enough to stay. it can be overwhelming, and it's not hard to look at the stigma that society places on addiction and sigh. You feel for those still trapped, not by society, but by the prisons in their own heads.

The good news is, while our disease is incurable, it is treatable and long term recovery is possible. We just have to give ourselves a break and persevere, even when we don't feel like it. We aren't responsible for our disease, but we are responsible for our recovery. No one else is responsible, not society, and not even other people in recovery (although they can help us if we accept it).

But I get it painter. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. Life is hard, and I constantly have to keep things in perspective and choose what I focus on. On a good day I keep my eyes on the miracles in my life and in those around me, and I smile.

Thanks for paving the way W.